Contracting worker dies in Wean Hall industrial accident
A contracting worker was killed after suffering electrocution while working on campus Tuesday.
It was later reported that the worker was Harold Taylor Jr., a 59 year-old man from the Mt. Oliver neighborhood of Pittsburgh, who worked for Eaton Electrical Company.
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Taylor was working in Wean Hall at the time of the accident, that a 911 call was placed at 10:20 a.m., and that he was pronounced dead on the scene a half-hour later.
University spokesperson Ken Walters commented to the Post-Gazette that the incident was "industrial accident" and released no further details.
The University attempted to alert students to event, but the CMU Alert System text message sent to the student body contained varying typographical errors which differed among recipients. One such text read “G¿¿¿ in Wean Hall responding to an isolated incident involving an individuaX¿¿¿orking with an outside contractor. There is no cause for evacuation or other precaution.”
Later in the day, Vice President for Campus Affairs Michael Murphy sent an email to the Carnegie Mellon community specifying that the accident occurred on the second floor of Wean Hall. “I know you join me in keeping the victim, his family and friends, and his colleagues in our thoughts and prayers,” he said. Murphy declined to share the personal information of the victim in his email.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating this incident.