Soccer teams have mixed results during weekend trip

Both Carnegie Mellon’s men’s and women’s soccer teams continued competitive conference play over the weekend.

On Friday, both teams traveled to Case Western Reserve University and came away with victories. The men’s team won 4–2, and the women’s side won 1–0.

After their victories, the teams traveled to the University of Rochester for a Sunday clash. The men’s team drew 0–0, and the women’s side lost 2–3 in double overtime.

“Of course, we would have liked to have gotten two wins,” senior defender Ben Bryant said. “But we’re happy getting four points. It definitely beats one win and one loss.”

Though the men’s Case Western game ended with a lopsided score, the game was much closer. The Tartans trailed 1–2 at halftime after all three goals were scored within the last two minutes of the first half.

The Tartans charged back in the second half. Sophomore midfielder Connor Webb scored two minutes into the second half off of a free kick by senior defender Cole Christensen. Senior forward Max Tassano headed in a goal in the 51st minute for the clincher.

Against the No. 14 University of Rochester, the Tartans played a tough, physical game. The Tartans received four yellow cards, while Rochester received three.

“The Rochester game showed that our defense can get organized, and we can sustain a lot of pressure from good teams,” Bryant said.

Facing 19 shots, senior goalie Christopher Madden made six saves.

“[Madden] came up big, with big-time saves,” Bryant said.

Carnegie Mellon’s women’s squad also started off the weekend road trip with a win against Case Western, with senior forward Alex Venegas’s first-half goal holding up as the only score of the game.

“We’re happy with the win on Friday, but we’re still disappointed with [Sunday’s] result,” said graduate student goalkeeper Anna Albi.

In Rochester, the women’s squad started strong. Sophomore midfielder Carson Quiros headed in a goal off a corner kick in the seventh minute.

After Rochester equalized in the 18th minute, the Tartans responded. Junior midfielder Jordyn Greenberg headed in the Tartans’ second goal for a 2–1 lead.

Rochester attempted only two corner kicks in the game, but made one of them count. With less than a minute in the first half, Rochester’s Kim Stagg scored off of their first corner in the game.

The game remained tied at two until double overtime, when Rochester’s Jessica Smith scored the decisive goal in the 107th minute.

“We were definitely the more dangerous team today, but we were just unlucky,” Albi said.

Both teams head on the road for their last regular season game this Saturday against Emory University.