Sports

CMU sports roundup: swim & dive, track & field

CMU Track and Field competed in their first outdoor meet of the season. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics) CMU Track and Field competed in their first outdoor meet of the season. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics) All 4 Carnegie Mellon women who competed at the NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships earned All-America recognitions; several broke school records as well. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics) All 4 Carnegie Mellon women who competed at the NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships earned All-America recognitions; several broke school records as well. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics) All 11 Carnegie Mellon men who competed at the NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships earned All-America recognitions; several broke school records as well. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics) All 11 Carnegie Mellon men who competed at the NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships earned All-America recognitions; several broke school records as well. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics)

Women’s Swimming and Diving
From March 16-19, the Women’s Swimming and Diving team traveled to the 2022 NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships in Indianapolis. On the first day, several members competed in individual events. Senior Kierstyn Cassidy swam the 500-yard freestyle and finished 36th of 54 with a time of 5:03.15. First-year Emma Hoffman finished 50th in the same event with a season-best of 5:07.85. Junior Bonnie Wang placed 40th of 62 with a time of 2:07.94 in the 200-yard IM. Junior Tiffany Tseng placed 59th in the 50-yard freestyle in 24.32 seconds. The 200-yard medley relay of Hoffman, Wang, Tseng, and Cassidy finished 26th overall with a time of 1:49.54.

On the second day of the championship, Tseng, Wang, Hoffman, and Cassidy once again took to the pool for the 200-yard freestyle relay, placing 25th with a combined time of 1:37.31. Cassidy and Hoffman later competed in the 200-yard freestyle — Cassidy finished ahead of Hoffman with a time of 1:54.68 compared to Hoffman’s time of 1:56.03; Cassidy placed 46th and Hoffman placed 54th.

Wang and Tseng both raced well, reaching the finals of the 100-yard backstroke on day three. Wang finished ninth with a time of 55.50, and Tseng finished just behind, tying for 11th with a time of 55.91. This earned Wang a new school record and both All-America Honorable Mentions.

On the final day of competition, Cassidy finished 11th in the 1,650-yard freestyle with a time of 7:07.20, setting a new school record for the event and also for her 1,000-yard split of 10:22.10. This earned her All-America Honorable Mention as well. Wang and Hoffman both earned All-America Honorable Mentions in 200-yard backstroke. Hoffman placed 14th overall with a time of 1:01.73, and Wang placed 15th with a time 2:01.89. With these All-America Honorable Mentions, Carnegie Mellon finished 24th of 44 colleges with 25.50 points.

Men’s Swimming and Diving
On March 16-19, the Tartans traveled to Indianapolis for the NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships. The first day came with some new school records and some All-America finishes for the Tartans.

Senior James Kyle finished fourth in the three-meter diving board with a score of 502.50, earning him his first All-America title. Junior Aleksander Tarczynski set a new school record in the 200-yard IM with a time of 1:49.13 in the preliminaries. His 15th-place finish in the event with a time of 1:50.92 earned him All-America Honorable Mention. The 200-yard medley relay of first-year Adel Heddadji, junior Erik Feldmann, and seniors Colin Daniel and Justin Britton placed 14th with a time of 1:29.74, earning them All-America Honorable Mentions. Feldmann also set a school record in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 20.40, placing 22nd of 65.

The Tartans didn’t slow down on the second day, earning more All-America finishes and breaking more school records. The 200-yard freestyle relay of Britton, Feldmann, and juniors Yousef Hassen and Matthew Nagler earned All-America Honorable Mentions after setting a school record of 1:20.66 in a 12th place finish. Britton then went on to place 10th in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 47.88, topping his own school record and earning an All-America Honorable Mention.

Britton also set a new 100-yard backstroke record of 47.77 during the preliminaries of the 400-yard medley relay, topping the previous record he set in 2019. The 400-yard medley relay team of Britton, Daniel, Feldmann, and senior Sean Ream finished 11th overall with a school record of 3:16.93, earning them All-America Honorable Mentions. Senior Richard Dauksher placed 10th overall in the 400-yard IM, also earning an All-America Honorable Mention.

The Tartans took more points on the third day, in large part due to Britton’s efforts. With a school record of 47.50 in the 100-yard backstroke preliminaries and a sixth-place finish of 47.53 in the finals, Britton earned yet another All-America Honor. The 800-yard freestyle relay consisting of Dauksher, Heddadji, Tarczynski, and Daniel narrowly missed the top 16, placing 18th with a time of 6:43.03. Kyle also narrowly missed making top 16 in the one-meter board with a 415.15 points.

The Tartans finished the last day with two more Honorable Mentions and two more school records. Britton performed strongly once more during the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:46.52, earning him an All-America Honorable Mention, a school record, and 11th place. The 400-yard freestyle relay of Britton, Hassen, Feldmann, and junior John McNab finished 10th place with a time of 2:58.51, earning themselves a school record and All-America Honorable Mentions. CMU placed 14th overall in the championship with a score of 91.50.

Women’s Track and Field
Members of the Women’s Track and Field team traveled to the 2022 NCAA Division III Track and Field Championships on March 11-12 at Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Junior Liz Barre competed in a variety of events, breaking two school records and earning two additional personal bests. In the pentathlon, Barre broke the school record with 3,399 points. She also won the high jump, clearing 1.66 meters, tying a school record. In the 60-meter hurdles, Barre placed fifth with a time of 9.07 seconds; she also placed 11th in shot put with a mark of 9.91 meters. Both were personal bests. Junior Samantha Giordani also competed, placing 12th overall in preliminaries in the 200-meter dash with a time of 25.47. Giordani did not make it to finals, as only the top eight advanced.

The next weekend, the Tartans had their first outdoor meet of the year at the Washington and Lee Track and Field Carnival in Lexington, Virginia. In her first outdoor meet, first-year Katie Monahan placed third in shot put with a mark of 11.97 meters, breaking the school record. Graduate student Kendra Noneman shattered the previous school record for hammer throw by over eight meters, placing first with a throw of 55.42 meters. First-year Kayla Rountree continued the momentum, placing second in javelin with a throw of 31.65 meters.
On the track, sophomore Isabella Rhee placed second in the 400-meter dash with a time of 59.22. The 4x400-meter relay team of sophomores Emily Lannen, Caitlin Kolb, Rhee, and junior Kavya Tummalapalli took third with a time of 4:09.25.

Men’s Track and Field
On March 11-12, the Men’s Track and Field team traveled to the 2022 NCAA Division III Indoor Track and Field Championships at Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Senior Michael OBroin competed in the 5,000-meter run and earned himself All-America recognition and second place with a time of 14:16.30, a school record. First-year Cody Breidenbach also earned All-America recognition when he placed seventh in the weight throw with a distance of 18.60 meters. Senior Justin Kiefel competed in the long jump and placed 10th with a mark of 7.03 meters. First-year Aleksei Seletskiy ran in the preliminaries of the mile run, placing 19th with a time of 4:20.59.

On day two, two more Tartans earned All-American recognition. Kiefel placed second in triple jump, earning a school record after recording a mark of 14.94 meters. Graduate student Bram Miller also placed second in shot put after recording a mark of 16.85 meters. Overall, the Tartans finished in a tie for sixth overall with 26 points.

The following weekend, the Tartans traveled to Lexington, Virginia to the Washington and Lee Track and Field Carnival for their first outdoor meet of the year. Junior Alex Halkias finished in second place in the 200-meter dash with a time of 21.97, a personal-best. He also finished third in both the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.77 and in long jump with a distance of 6.68 meters. A personal best from graduate student Grant Johnson earned him first in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 54.62. Graduate student Michael Cai and sophomore Pranac Rajbhandari took first and second place in the 400-meter run with times of 50.59 and 51.06, respectively.